Wednesday 31 March 2010

Pleasures that come with a power cut

I am making chapathis in the candle light, my nose is dewed with sweat and I am feeling very very hot. Just as I am thinking of fretting about power cuts in summer, I hear my son and my husband chit-chatting in the front yard of my house. "The moon is big and the stars are so small" my son was saying. "Actually the stars are much much bigger than moon, they are so far away that they look small" my husband was trying to explain. My mind flew back 15 years and I began recollecting power cuts during my childhood. Just when the power went off, by dad would start whistling " I saw rain drops on my window....". His whistling was good always, but the power cut made it more comforting and solemn. My mother would find her way in the dark to the room my dad was in and say "These power cuts in summer- annoying really". "Its cooler in this room" my dad would say. The luring of the silence that followed nwas magnetic. My sister and I would stumble in the dark and go to mum and dad. Together we would look at the sky always my sister would be the first to exclaim "hey hannah look how beautiful that cloud looks!" "yeah and it floats so nicely" I would say". "This is how our childhood was" my dad would say," no electric lights at home , just the kerosene lamps".  "We had to be back home from play when the street lights came on" my mother continued "we used to play so much in those days" she said.
When starring at the sky got boring we played a word game. one of us would say a word and the next has to say a word that started with the last letter of the word just said.  "English" I said "herb" my sister said "bedlam" my father would say "what on earth is that?" I would ask and my dad would tell us the meaning and the usage." "When the power comes back, you should look it up in the 'chambers'" my dad would tell us always. The number of new words I learnt during the many powercuts are numerous. 'Quay', 'etymology', 'mayhem', 'apothecary' to list a few.The way we bonded as a family during the power cuts almost made them welcome in our house.
Now my son is saying "Appa that cloud is moving" "why?". "They are light and can be moved by the wind my boy" my husband is explaining. I wipe sweat off my face, switch of the stove and sneak out to sit next to my husband and son and stare at the sky.  "Amma" my son starts "the clouds can be moved around by the wind do you know, appa just told me about it" he goes on. What sweet music it is to my ears.
Power cuts are a powerful and sure way to family time.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the post :-)I went back in time too for a few minutes... Yes, power cuts were magical, we saw everything in a different light, literally. In the soft moonlight, the enchanting candlelight, no wonder we were almost sorry when the harsh tubelights came on. Although I suspect the disappointment had more than a little to do with getting back to homework ;-). I can't recall the last power cut, but this morning I was notified (personally by mail) to expect my very first French one. The letter said 'Electricite de France was deeply sorry to have to cut my power for a hour two weeks from now'! [Sigh] Modern life is so predictable, we might end up very dull indeed if we didn't follow our impulses every once in a while.
    Here's to many more power cuts (real ones or by choice) in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete